Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chronic Tacos = Chronically Bad

I don't know why, but I have never been a fan of Chronic Tacos. I try their stores again and again thinking that it was just one underwhelming experience or location and I continue to be underwhelmed. Maybe CHRONICALLY underwhelmed.

For the sake of research, I braved the Chronic Tacos drive-through in Lake Forest (which replaced a place called Carmelo's or something that had vastly superior food). I ordered the Fish Fatty Taco and various other items for my family for lunch.

When I unrolled the corn tortilla, grilled fish, cilantro and onion, it looked anemic and sad. The tortilla had basically disintegrated (a fate which has befallen most of my meals attempted at Chronically Bad Tacos) making the rest of the taco unenjoyable. I will grant that I drove a few minutes home and didn't eat the food fresh from preparation, but many of the tacos reviewed here have made the drive without suffering similar fates.

My family didn't enjoy their meals either (not the first time). We have tried most of the menu and haven't found anything worth eating. I can safely say that this is a first for a Mexican fast food place. I clearly understand why all of the beach/bar rats in NB and HB love the Chronic Taco setups with alcohol and people watching, I just don't understand why anyone sober or not on the prowl would eat there.



Chronic Tacos is just like the star tattoo logo and name, a bad decision made in the late 90's/early 2000's that one would like to forget. Just like the number of OC hipsters who will one day be undergoing laser removal of the stars and other lame Ed Hardy style nonsense, I doubt that Chronically Bad Tacos will be with us through the next cycle of trends.

This just in, Wee Man from Jackass now has his own CT in Redondo. Look at this group and you decide if you think their tacos would be any good.




20 locations
Website

No comments:

Post a Comment