Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Del Taco




I love Del Taco. Let me say it again with the full knowledge that it may destroy my culinary credentials with everyone, but I love Del Taco. In the war between Del Taco and Taco Bell, I would choose DT 99 out of 100 times (the 100th time is when there is only a TB within several miles). Throughout my High School and College Career (and, sadly, still) if I am eating fast food after 10:00 pm, it is Del Taco. I have seen friends take down $18 worth of DT and then walk back up to the Counter for more (OK, it wasn't just friends, I did it too, but there was tequila involved).

My usual order is two chicken soft tacos (the best in the business in my opinion) and some sort of burrito. Every once in a while, I mix it up with their crispy fish tacos.

I have ordered the Crispy Fish Tacos at Del Taco may times and while they are always very good, I usually just consider them a starting point (or mid-way point) of a Del Taco multi-course Fiesta. So it was with rapt, laser-like focus that I enjoyed a fish taco with the goal of reviewing it here.

The setup is standard, double corn tortillas, cabbage, pico de gallo, and VERY crispy breaded and fried Halibut with "special sauce" (basically mayo and lime). Extra credit is awarded to Del Taco for including a lime wedge, a nice special touch that fish tacos costing triple sometimes forget to include. They are great for what they are, mega-chain (in SoCal), fast-food attempts at Mexican food. On the plus side, they are just about the crunchiest fish tacos I have had. On the negative side, they are very small and really don't have much fish to them, they are really fried batter tacos with some fish in them.

Del Taco's website.
Various locations. For list, see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment