Friday, April 2, 2010

Take the Matter into Your Own Hands


Fish Fridays are the law of the land (for Catholics, at least) during Lent. And what better way to advance this blog, than to enjoy a lovely FT on a Friday. I did just that today with my wife and daughter at Avila's El Ranchito in Laguna Niguel.

With my ususal order "off the table, " I snuggled up to a 2 order combo of fish tacos and rice and beans. After having helped myself to a strong serving of chips and salsa, I was looking forward to a new FT adventure. The FTs are delivered in simple form with mahi mahi covered in shredded green cabbage, loosely wrapped with 2 flour tortillas. No cheese, no sour cream, no sauce (truthfully, I typically order FTs with the sauce on the side and I remained true to this here).

The fish was very lightly battered and fried, but light and fresh. However, the fish tasted very plain and, in my mind, needed a little somethin' somethin'. Furthermore, without the sauce (basic tarter sauce) the tacos were on the dry side. Fortunately for me, I love Avila's salsa (chalk full of white and green onions) and proceeded to add a heap to each taco. This made the meal. The salsa added flavor and moistness (is this a word?) and drove my lunch over the finish line. I gobbled them up with the same passion and determination that Larry H. Parker has for delivering settlements to his clients.

Overall, Avila's FTs are simple and slightly plain unless, that is, you take matters into your own hands.
B

27941 La Paz Road, Suite E
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
949.349.9100

No comments:

Post a Comment