Monday, January 24, 2011

True to Form


I know what you're thinking...True Food Kitchen is not a restaurant you would read about during the year of the burger, right? Surprise! That is the great thing about this blog. We can do whatever the heck we want!

I have experienced True Food just once before, but for drinks only. I enjoyed the company of a co-worker and, of course a few ginger margaritas. Not on the menu, these margaritas ,pack a punch that gave me some temporary relief from my chest cold. But on my most recent visit, no ginger margaritas. It was lunch and I was hungry, which concerned me at a place like True Food. For those that don't know let me describe True Food. Sustainable, simple, fresh, healthy, locally-grown, organic. Rather than venture too deep into the menu I decided to have the waitress order for me. The first item she recommended was, coincidentally, the turkey burger. Perfect! She warned me that the burger is served with raw kale, seasoned with lemon, Parmesan and bread crumbs. I bought it.

After sucking back a Green Arnie, made of Matcha Green Tee and Honey Lemonade (don't say that I didn't warn you) our food arrived. The burger was served on a flax seed bun with a large slice of avocado, lettuce, tomato and provolone. Just so you have a visual, the turkey patty was not shaped into a perfect circular patty. It was rough around the edges. I thoroughly enjoyed this burger, despite it falling apart 1/2 way through me eating it. I resorted to eating the second 1/2 with a fork and knife, which took nothing away from it. The kale was the biggest surprise. Crunchy, citrus-y and overall a nice healthy side dish.

My thesis on True Food's turkey burger (and True Food in general)...true to form. The burger was solid. Not too "earthy" or overly "crunchy" as you might suspect. It was different and simple, yet solid.
What I like about this Year of the... assignment is our ability to go beyond the conventional. To try things that do not fit the mold. We know that In' N Out is going to be great. We know Fuddruckers and Knowlwood will deliver. But it's the burgers at places like True Food that make this fun.

B

True Food Kitchen
Fashion Island
451 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949.544.2400

No comments:

Post a Comment